The Biggest Bathroom and Kitchen Remodeling Mistakes to Avoid
According to the National Association of Home Builders, 78% of all renovations requested are for bathroom remodeling, while 69% of all jobs requested are for kitchen remodeling. In other words, kitchen and bathroom renovations are the two most popular options for home remodeling nationwide. But while you certainly won’t be alone if you decide on a kitchen renovation or bathroom remodel, you’ll need to make smart choices when coming up with the final design. Otherwise, you could be prone to making some major mistakes.
To help you avoid these mishaps, we’re sharing some of the main errors you’ll want to avoid in your next kitchen or bathroom renovation. Refer to this guide below before you start for optimal results.
Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling Mistakes to Avoid
- Forgetting About Storage: Most homeowners want to have as much storage space as possible. When remodeling your bathroom or kitchen, you won’t want to neglect to add storage as part of the design. You’ll need places to store your towels and toiletries or pots and pans, after all. While you’ll want to ensure these spaces are as open as possible, you can work with a contractor to come up with some clever ways to add storage without sacrificing square footage.
- Neglecting Proper Ventilation: Both the bathroom and the kitchen require superior ventilation in order to protect your home and accommodate your needs. Even if you aren’t changing up the layout in a drastic way, you’ll need to prioritize air circulation in order to remove excess moisture from the bathroom and ensure fumes from your stove can be safely removed from the area. While it’s easy to get caught up in the more aesthetic features of your remodel, be sure to devote some time to figure out the room’s ventilation plan.
- Not Incorporating Natural Light: Bathrooms and kitchens both need adequate natural light in order to serve their main purposes. In the bathroom, having only overhead lighting can make it much harder to complete everyday grooming tasks. And in the kitchen, a dimly lit space can make cleaning impossible and cooking a hazardous activity. When renovating either of these areas, it’s important to introduce some natural light in the form of windows or skylights. There are plenty of ways to retain your privacy while letting the sunlight in, so don’t rely only on light fixtures!
- Failing to Include Enough Counter Space: Counterspace is an essential aspect of any bathroom or kitchen. Without enough of it, it’ll prove extremely difficult to complete even the most basic jobs. Having only a pedestal sink in the bathroom won’t allow you to use any plug-in appliances while having too little counter space in the kitchen will make it impossible to prep food. Although you may have to make certain compromises due to the existing layout or your budget, make sure that you don’t skimp on counter space. Otherwise, you’ll find it a challenge to go about your daily routine.
- Thinking You Don’t Need Professional Help: Because DIYing has become so popular in recent years, some homeowners believe that they can easily handle a kitchen or bathroom renovation on their own. Unfortunately, this usually proves to be a huge mistake. While some rooms can be remodeled without professional help, bathrooms and kitchens typically require the assistance of an expert. From installing new cabinets to relocating plumbing, these are jobs best-suited for experienced contractors. What’s more, you’ll probably end up saving more by working with the experts in kitchen and bathroom remodeling Northern VA homeowners trust. DIYing a renovation poorly will require you to spend more just to fix problems that could have easily been avoided. If you’re considering renovating your kitchen or remodeling your bathroom, do yourself a favor and work with a professional from the start.
As we’ve mentioned, kitchen and bathroom renovations are the two most popular options for remodeling projects. But their popularity doesn’t mean that they’re foolproof. On the contrary, it’s essential to work with kitchen and bathroom remodeling experts to ensure your renovation turns out the way you’d imagined. For more information on how we can bring your remodeling vision to life, please contact Collins Tile and Stone today.