8 Home Projects That Can Increase the Value of Your Home
When you’re looking to make a home renovation, you’re largely focused on the aesthetic changes that you’re making to transform your house into a home. However, it’s important to keep a return on investment in mind while you’re considering your latest remodeling project.
Many homeowners who take on a renovation realize too late that while a certain remodeling project may increase their own personal happiness in their property, it actually decreases the value of the home. So what home remodeling projects are best for increasing the overall value of your home so you can relax once the time comes to sell?
Here are eight popular home remodeling projects that can increase the overall value of your property.
- Bathroom additions. It can be incredibly beneficial to have multiple bathrooms in a house, especially if there are more than two bedrooms in the property. What’s more, bathroom additions offer an average of 86.4% ROI. If you have enough room in your house for an extra bathroom and you’re tired of not having enough room to get ready in the morning in your master bath, consider adding a half-bath onto your home.
- Walk-in shower additions. For homeowners with a large master bath, adding a walk-in shower can add a lot of value to your property. Walk-in showers are great for those who need additional accessibility and provide optimal bathing solutions for those who are aging in place. Just be sure not to get rid of your bathtub should you decide to go through with a walk-in shower. Potential buyers are less likely to invest in a house that only has a shower.
- New kitchen cabinets. You don’t need to completely gut your kitchen to get a return on investment on your kitchen renovation. In fact, a minor kitchen remodel has an average return on investment of 82.7%. Small changes such as installing new kitchen cabinets or professionally painting your existing cabinets can transform your kitchen without costing a fortune.
- Energy-efficient appliances. When you’re looking into getting a kitchen renovation, make sure that you’re considering upgrading your appliances while you’re at it. Aesthetics may be important, but energy efficiency is vital because it helps save a lot of money in the long run while also reducing your carbon footprint.
- Install energy-efficient windows. Kitchen appliances aren’t the only upgrade that can benefit from some energy-efficiency. Depending on how old the windows in your home are, you could be losing a significant amount of heating and cooling. Energy-efficient windows help to keep your warm or cool indoor air inside where it belongs.
- Kitchen backsplashes. About 76% of homeowners change the style of their kitchens during their kitchen renovation project, and a backsplash can complete your kitchen renovation’s look. For instance, if you’re in love with the modern farmhouse aesthetic that has been trending in recent years, a brick or engineered wood backsplash can help to give you the look you’re going for.
- Kitchen island. Kitchen islands are both a functional and aesthetically pleasing addition to any kitchen renovation. Islands give homeowners additional counter and storage space while they’re cooking and baking. What’s more, a kitchen island can also give your room a colorful accent. For instance, if you have all-white cabinets and you’re worried your kitchen renovation is looking too clinical, a kitchen island with wood detailing and cabinets can help to warm up the space.
- Basement remodeling. A basement renovation is one of the more expensive renovation projects you can take on, but it has a major return on investment of at least 70%. A finished basement provides you with an entirely new floor of your house, giving you ample space to do a wide variety of projects. You can transform your finished basement into a family room, a home office, a home gym, or all three. You can even install a wet bar to create a fun entertaining space for friends and family.
Looking for kitchen remodelers in Northern VA? We’ve got you covered. Collins Tile and Stone offers a wide array of renovation and remodeling services including kitchen and bathroom remodeling, flooring renovations, and shower remodeling. For more information about our home renovation services, contact Collins Tile and Stone today.